Saturday, June 18, 2011

An Introduction

Hi! Since this is my first blog post, I thought I'd put a little introduction. I'm Emma, I'm a 20-year-old college student, and I recently learned that I have a gluten sensitivity/mild allergy. I've spent most of my life thinking that I just had a wimpy stomach and sensitive skin and that I was prone to becoming over-tired. I had managed to just deal with the chronic fatigue and other mild issues. However, over my last break, my mom did some research and we started to ask questions. A week after cutting gluten out of my diet, I had far more energy, my skin had cleared rapidly, and I was feeling healthier, happier and more balanced than I had in a very long time. Additionally, other foods started to taste better. As a life-long picky eater, I was surprising my entire family with all of the fruits and veggies that I suddenly was eating very enthusiastically. All of this was encouraging. But, by the second week, I was missing cookies, brownies, and bread. I was dreaming about bread. So, my mom started cooking. And I started cooking. We've started making gluten-free flour, trying boxed cookie and brownie recipes, and experimenting with fruits and vegetables.  And even though the kitchen is clearly not my natural habitat, the payoff has absolutely been worth it. With the help of my parent's excellent culinary skills, as well as cookbooks like Cooking for Isiah by Silvana Nardone( absolutely recommend this!), I'm gradually wrapping my head around my new gluten-free diet. I'm going to be using this blog to write about my recipe experiments and keep track of how I feel as I continue to cut out gluten. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment