Saturday, June 25, 2011

Black Bean Soup!

My mom is the queen of making soup. There are often times at school where I would do a great many desperate things to just have a cup of her soup. The solution? Eating as much of it as I can when I'm home, as well as learning how to make my own soup!  The other night, we made a tomato-lime black bean soup with avocado cream, served with more delicious quesadillas. Inspired by Cooking For Isaiah's recipe, it was easily the best black bean soup I have ever had. It was a clear favorite.

Tomato Lime Black Bean Soup with Avocado Cream:
You'll need: 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 medium onion chopped, 2 smashed garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon light brown sugar, 2 cans of black beans( rinsed!), 4 cups vegetable broth, 1 can diced fire tomatos with juice, 2 jalapeno peppers( seeded), 1/2 chipotle( go easy on the adobo sauce), 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, 4 tablespoons lime juice, salt, 1 ripe avocado.

I love cilantro. And avocado. I know they aren't for everyone. But I promise. I considered licking the bowl that held the avocado cream when we were done, that's how delicious it is. 


In a soup pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, brown sugar, and cook until the onion is caramelized. Add the beans and broth, bringing to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook for about 45 minutes, until the bans are falling apart. 


Add the tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove 2 cups of the soup, puree it with the jalapenos, chipotle, and cilantro. (You may be tempted at this moment to use this freshly pureed mixture as a chip dip. This might seem like a delicious idea, and it is, but if you do, you will not get to eat the soup. It's your choice. I'd personally recommend doing both :) ) Return the mixture to the rest of the soup. Stir in 2 tablespoons of lime juice and season with 1 teaspoon salt. 


Place the avocado and remaining 2 tablespoons of lime juice in a food processor and blend until creamy. You will also be tempted by this mixture. I have used the leftover avocado on everything. It keeps great( probably because of the lime juice) and it's perfect. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and top the soup with the avocado cream and cilantro. Prepare for amazement. 


We also served this soup with quesadillas. I popped the tortillas into a pan with some olive oil to make them a little crunchier, then layered pepper jack cheese, chicken, delicious sweet corn fresh from the cob, and black beans, topped with another tortilla. Such a fantastic life decision. 











No comments:

Post a Comment